Landscape Consulting and Design Services in San Diego, CA
Steve Harbour Landscapes provides San Diego area clients a wide range of landscape consultation and design services. No two landscape projects are the same, and therefore each consulting and design project is customized according to the homeowner’s distinct tastes and desires.
Steve Harbour is one of a only handful of APLD Certified Landscape Designers working in San Diego County. He has created hundreds of landscape designs in the area. Notably, he has also worked as a ISA Certified Arborist and CAN California Certified Nurseryman in the past. With over 35 years of profession experience, who better to get your landscape project off to a successful start?
Call 619-922-9735 to schedule an appointment.
Steve's full-color design featured on the HGTV and DiY networks.
A listing of services and pricing offered (can be customized to fit your needs):
* In-Depth, On-Site Advice (Verbal).
* $125 (typically, depending on distance from office).
*Typically 1 hour.
This is a great first step and sometimes all that is needed to begin a project . Recommended for those clients wanting to take an in-depth look at their current landscape and get professional advice on what stays or goes, a critique of their own design ideas, and many new ideas on how to create a beautiful landscape. We will walk your property together, discussing: current conditions, potential problems, plant suggestions, and what you can expect when working with professional contractors.
With a Verbal Consultation, we can discuss:
- Existing site conditions.
- Problem areas, including existing plants.
- Design ideas and concepts.
- Plant identification
- Maintaining the landscape.
- Home and garden styles.
- Lowering Water Usage – sometimes dramatically.
- Working with Contractors
- Good sources for plants and materials.
Note: No documents (sketches, plans, lists) are created in this consultation, but take all the notes you wish.
Consultation with Sketches:
* On-site – simple planting plans, lawn replacement plans, planter rejuvenation plans.
* $300-$400 (depending on distance from office).
* Typically takes 3-4 hours including sketch time and follow-up.
This is the most affordable way of obtaining a drawing for small, simple landscape projects. Lawn conversions are a favorite, and it is a good method of renovating old and tired planter beds. Smaller suburban front or backyards are also a possibility. As mentioned, the sketches are simple, not to exact scale, and in black and white. Typically started on site and then completed at our studio, we send you the plan complete with plants listed. A follow-up telephone conversation to discuss the plan sketch is also included.
With a Consultation including Sketches, we will:
- Discuss design ideas and solutions.
- Look at potential problem areas.
- Talk about home and garden styles – what is right for you.
- Identify landscape elements to keep or remove.
- Discuss lowering water use.
- Decide where individual landscape elements will be placed.
- Sketch the area to be landscaped.
- Begin work on the sketch or sketches.
Note: Designer will let you know lead-time on when documents will be sent, usually within a few days unless current design load is heavy.
* Drafting of landscape plans, site-take off and base map, presentation meetings.
* $600 - $3000+
* Charged at hourly rate (capped as 'not to exceed' without your written approval).
Figure 8 hours to 40 hours+.
These plans are necessary to layout more complex landscapes, entire properties, large landscapes areas with detailed softscapes, and also hardscape features beyond simple plant, patio, and walkway layouts. These are scaled drawings perfect for obtaining bids from licensed contractors or presenting for homeowner association(HOA) approval. We often start with a colored conceptual plan that shows the positioning of trees, along with other significant plants, planting areas, and hardscape features. After a review meeting, we then move on to the full landscape plan; one or more pages showing: exact plant layout with a comprehensive plant list; hardscape layout; elevation concepts for vertical features like patio covers, fences, and outdoor kitchens; outdoor lighting, artistic elements, and more.
The Landscape plan packages are necessary for:
- Conceptualizing large or more complex landscapes.
- Receiving project estimates from contractors.
- Installing your new landscape.
- Visualizing hardscape layouts: patios, walkways, etc.
- Listing all plant species to be used, complete with names, sizes, and notes.
- Showing the position of existing features: home perimeter, patios, plants to remain, etc.
- Positioning outdoor lighting and garden art elements.
- Presenting to contractors, HOAs, and more.
Note: Extras (also charged hourly for the landscape design package include, full-color plant booklets, 3-D artistic renderings, and more.
* Construction administration and liaison, maintenance audit and review.
* These services are advised although not a necessity.
* Charged by the hour.
Typically 6 - 8 hours+
These services are highly recommended for clients who wants to continue to work with the designer through the construction process and beyond. Includes contractor sourcing, bid review, walking property and discussing project with contractors, follow-up site visits, plant placement, final walk-through, and periodic maintenance review.
These various Follow-up Landscape Services help to:
- Make on-site adjustments as construction moves forward.
- Review installation work quality as it unfolds.
- Answer questions from the client and contractor.
- Clarify design intent and answer questions.
- Add or change design elements in the project.
- Head off and solve potential issues that arise.
-Check plant placement, make adjustments as needed.
- Review plant quality.
- Provide ongoing plant maintenance suggestions and tips.